Monday, December 31, 2012

RIP Carl Woese: Collecting posts / notes / other information about my main science hero here

My tribute to Carl Woese 12/30/12
Sadly, Carl Woese has passed away.  I am collecting some links and posts about him here in his memory.  He was without a doubt the person who most influenced my career as a scientist.

News stories about Woese's passing
Some of my posts about Woese
Woese Tree of Life pumpkin (by J. Eisen)

Storification of Tweets and other posts about his passing

Other posts worth reading about Woese's passing
Some videos with Woese 







Miscellaneous

My graduate student Russell Neches used a laser to etch a picture of Carl Woese on a piece of toast.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm. The toast thing was fun. You should send PZ Myers some Woesian toast. Anyway, 3D printers could be used to make "action figures" of famous scientists?

    More seriously, thank you for collecting all of these resources. I am hopeful that Norm Pace and others will put together a video---suitable for students---outlining the work of Woese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting together this beautiful page. Another memorial (although of course there are many, probably more than can be catalogued, let alone read by any one person): http://www.rants.org/2013/01/04/in-memoriam-carl-woese/ .

    What a huge loss :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked in Carl's lab from 1977 to 1983. Heady times! I think that I was the last technician who did RNA fingerprinting. Thank you for this wonderful tribute!

    Christine Hahn Cahill

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Memorial Service for Carl R. Woese will be taking place on January 26, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. (CST).

    For those that are unable to attend in person, the memorial will be streamed live and available for viewing at http://go.illinois.edu/carlwoesememorial

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Following Carl Woese into the Natural Microbial World -- The Beginnings of Metagenomics"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcfutXOBZRI

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...